Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Real Writing

My Peace4Kids group called "Love Me Now" making posters about their purpose.
A few weeks ago, I read a blog on The Huffington Post called “The Mom Stays in the Picture,” by Allison Tate. Some of you have probably read it. It’s a real, honest piece about how important it is as a mom to sometimes get in front of the camera instead of behind it, because self-acceptance is so incredibly important.

In the blog, Tate thoughtfully examines her insecurities and seeks to accept herself not only for herself, but for her children.

“But we really need to make an effort to get in the picture. Our sons need to see how young and beautiful and human their mamas were. Our daughters need to see us vulnerable and open and just being ourselves -- women, mamas, people living lives,” Tate writes.

Although I’m not a mother, the vulnerability in her words spoke to me. And, given the popularity of the blog post, it seems I was not alone.

Seeing this was affirming for me in several ways. Of course it encouraged me to remember to accept myself (or try!) and to love myself the way I am. For me, this will be a lifelong journey. That’s fine.

But the most palpable affirmation came from Tate’s vulnerable storytelling.

Over the years, I’ve written blogs both here and elsewhere. I’ve written stories anonymously because I wanted to tell a story I wasn’t comfortable sharing publicly. I’ve written stories that omitted the personal facts. And I’ve avoided writing stories altogether. Even this blog, up until recently, has remained somewhat anonymous.

You see, I’ve worried I’d seem self-indulgent or that I’d be judged harshly. I’ve worried that people who don’t know me would find out something about me they didn’t like before they gave me a chance. I’ve done a lot of worrying.

But ultimately, what I learned the night I sat down and read Allison Tate’s blog is that oftentimes, real, true, vulnerable stories directly from someone’s gut can make a huge collective impact on other people.

I know when I read a story I can relate to, something inside of me takes a step forward. I can only hope that when other people read my stories, they feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment