Thursday, October 11, 2012

Savoring Santa Monica



Photo by Marissa de la Torre


We are taking a walk alongside the ocean today, my co-workers and I. The summer has just ended, and in April our company offices move inland. After four summers working right next to the beach, with ocean-view happy hours and free beach parking, easy access to scenic paths for evening runs and opportunities for lunchtime power walks, we’ll be moving to a building-laden, concrete-covered area of the city.

I’m doing all I can to not be seriously disappointed about this.

In the meantime, I’m trying to take advantage of our last six months here. So today, we’re walking at lunch. It’s the second time this week we’ll be getting some exercise and de-stressing over the lunch hour, and I will savor every minute of it.

I’ll so miss the area that has become my home away from home, but I’m trying to see the positives. 

No more tourists clogging the streets! No more shopping temptations! Shorter drive to work (taking my current 12-minute commute to 7 minutes. I know, you feel sorry for me.)

But I know I’ll miss the ocean and my close daily proximity to it, as well as all the bars, restaurants and fun events the area has to offer. $12 just for parking that was once company-provided? Blasphemy.

Favorite Santa Monica Memories and Activities
Daytime walks
Farmers Market Wednesdays
Evening runs
Impromptu lunchtime picnics
Summer Concerts on the Pier
Happy hours on rooftops
Kings Head
West 4th and Jane
The Shopping, oh, the shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment