Sunday, July 24, 2011

Beautiful Skin

I just stood there laughing.

Day one of family vacation and I’m wearing shorts in public for possibly the third time in as many years. Baby steps. As I’m standing at the book section in Costco, I see a 50-something woman openly staring at me. She finally says “You have the most beautiful skin!” When I just smile in response, she repeats herself. “You have the most beautiful skin. You are just so attractive!” And I said thank you, and then I started to laugh. And I just stood there laughing.

“Why are you laughing?” the poor woman asked me, clearly confused.

“I never wear shorts,” I explained as I walked to her side of the display table. As I gestured toward my legs, covered in psoriasis, you could see the understanding dawn on her face. But she wasn’t fazed. “But you’re so pretty,” she said. “You shouldn’t have to worry about that!”

And she’s right. I shouldn’t have to worry about that. I shouldn’t worry about it. And I’m going to try not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment